Indian Head Massage
Indian head massage is said to be both a science and an art. It offers many benefits such as keeping hair strong, lustrous and healthy and provides relief for conditions such as tension and migraine headaches, insomnia and disturbed sleep, stress and related illnesses and tense back, shoulder and neck muscles. Indian head massage is a wonderfully relaxing therapy which leaves you feeling peaceful, calm, refreshed and rejuvenated restoring natural harmony and balance to mind, body and spirit.
What is Indian Head Massage and where did it come from?
Indian head massage is a combination of massage strokes and techniques which will vary from therapist to therapist, hence the reference to it being both a science and an art. Each stroke or touch affects the mind, body and spirit in some way and balanced with the way in which the stroke or touch is applied creates the art. Every therapist will bring their own energy to it.
Indian head massage comes from the Vedic wisdom of Ayurveda; the ancient system of healing which originated in India thousands of years ago. Traditionally, in India, a head massage is given from birth using oil. As well as increasing circulation the gentle touch of a mother massaging her baby is both soothing and comforting. Their energy will intertwine; resonate.
Most people are familiar with the ‘soft spot’ located at the top of a baby’s head. Known as the fontanelle this membrane covered opening is the space between the two bones of the skull which do not fully join until the infant is around 9 months old. During this first stage of a baby’s life because of the fontanelle, head massage with nourishing oils can directly affect the nervous system, which in turn benefits the development and functioning of both the brain and the eyesight. Indian mothers will also often place an oil soaked piece of cotton on their baby’s head to provide as much nourishment to their brain as possible. Traditionally sesame, mustard, coconut, almond and olive oils were used. In the present day therapists utilise the healing properties of essential oils which bring many other benefits to the head massage treatment.
Around 80% of the population of India live in small rural villages where the tradition of Indian head massage is very much a part of every day life. Head massage is an enjoyable family and social activity and its skilful art is passed down from generation to generation. It is not just limited to family life and indeed in India barbers used to offer ‘champi’ which means head massage as well as a hair cut. Interestingly the English term ‘shampoo’ derives from the Hindu term ‘champi’.
What are the other benefits of Indian Head Massage?
Regular Indian Head Massage Treatment will:- 출장안마
- strengthen the central nervous system and assist all the systems of the body restore and renew themselves;
- increase energy levels;
- provide relief from tension and migraine headaches;
- lower blood pressure;
- bring about immediate feelings of peace, relaxation and calm;
- provide relief from stress, anxiety, depression and other stress related conditions;
- increase oxygen and glucose supplies to the brain resulting in optimum brain functioning and higher levels of clarity and concentration;
- increase blood flow resulting in dissolution of accumulated toxins within the body;
- provide immediate relief to aching, stiff and tense deep and superficial muscles located in the upper back, shoulder and neck areas;
- enable energy cleansing and balancing of specific marmas (pressure points) located in the head;
- stimulate the three major head chakras helping to restore and balance mind, body and spirit;
- promote hair growth and hair lustre;
- reduce premature balding and greying;
- promote calm and relaxed sleep encouraging a natural sleep pattern;
- maintain electro-chemical balance which provides rejuvenation and longevity;
- increase the secretion of hormones necessary for the growth and development of the brain
The stresses and strains that our modern day living puts on us means there is little time for complete relaxation. Many people don’t allow themselves the time or space to rejuvenate and to restore the natural and harmonious balance that is essential for a healthy mind, body and spirit.